Take A Walk Through the Old Testament with me...

Monday, October 25, 2010

Stroll through the Old Testament... In the Beginning

I love the Old Testament, so it is my intention to walk through it Genesis to Malachi. This won't be a thourough study, just my thoughts and comments as I am reading through the Old Testament. Some verses are so rich that we must spend time contemplating them one by one, Others (the "begats" come to mind) seem to be less important to me. I welcome your thoughts and additions to my ramblings...

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning ... The Bible is the story of man and our relationship with God. In the beginning refers to man's beginning, the start of our history. Man is a creature of time and space, God is beyond time and space. God was, is and always will be-- He is not limited to time. He can move through time, back and forth. Can you stretch your mind around that? I can't, but I can understand that God is not restricted by time like we mere chunks of clay are. I think it is vital, when studying the Word of God, to remember that God is not limited to our methods, our ways of reasoning or our abilities or our time frames.

God created the heavens and the earth. This is a broad statement that Moses (writer of Genesis) later fills in with details about the step by step process. Note that it is a plural heavens and singular earth. Earth is the designated dwelling place for man, the heaven are divided in several sections, The dwelling place of God's Spirit, the celestial heavens and the general atmosphere of Earth.

What do you think, is God still pleased with all that He made? Verse 2 starts with a mass that is without form and void... I was taught that an event between verse 1 and 2 put the earth into the disarray that we see in verse 2. This could be the answer between the age of the dinosaurs and the age of human history. Seems to be that the "missing link" that some scientists would like to claim connect prehistoric history and the current history of man really is MISSING. God began a new creative process in verse 2.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, please don't stop on me. In this few words I see some thoughts I have never been taught, nor have I contemplated on my own. Keep going, walk me thru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are starting this again! You go! As I was reading your post (which I hope that you will continue, by the way!), I was reflecting on the fact that Jehovah could have directed Moses (Moshe) to write about many things to start, but He chose the appropriate: creation. What is applicable to mankind. He didn't have to say "I'm way too much for your mind to handle", or "Your going to come upon some theory of how to describe all that I have created in time", but he defines what is important to us, and answers in a simple statement several central thoughts that we have about our existence.
    When God states that He God created the heavens and the earth, He is defining for us the rest of the story of Creation, and the next 65 books our sphere of knowledge and influence. What a wonderful economy with words!
    In those two simple verses, God has established Himself as the ultimate source of all that we owe our existance, and has implied many things about the nature of who He is in time, space, dimension, power, and love. He chose to explain the nature of who He is to us in terms that we could understand. He was there for purpose, to re-establish relationship and love.

    ReplyDelete